Thursday, June 10, 2010

Duggar Life Lesson: The Value of a Kind Deed

The Duggars are definately fans of teaching life lessons, even if they don't call them that, I do. They teach by example and then remind their kids of that example and how they can apply those lessons in their own individual daily lives.

The value of a kind deed is something the Duggars taught the kids by explaining an experience Jim Bob had when he was just a young boy. As they explained in their book, Jim Bob did not grow up in a family that always had enough money to go around. There were times when they didn't have enough food to eat or enough food to eat, let alone money to pay for a haircut for Jim Bob. His mother would attempt home hair cuts and they didn't always turn out with successful results. They show a picture of a small Jim Bob with one such haircut and while not being horrible, it wasn't great either. Apparently the Duggars had a neighbour who was a hair stylist. She offered to cut Jim Bob's hair for him for free. While this was something easy for her to do and give, it made a huge impact on Jim Bob. He describes the change in his self-image and his self-esteem. You do seem to do better when you feel better about yourself, don't you?

Jim Bob and Michelle remind their kids that there are so many small things they can do for other people, that might not seem like anything to them, but could have a lasting effect on the person they do the good deed for. In Judaism we refer to doing good deeds as performing "mitzvahs." There are so many things we do for other people that we don't even consciously see that someone else could see as a good deed--from letting a car go in front of you in traffic or picking up something that someone dropped and handing it to them. These little things may not stick in your mind for any longer than it takes to do them, but who knows how long the person you do it for remembers. And it's quite likely that they may spread the good deed on to others by following your example.

Think of the good deeds others have done for you and the effect it's had on you. Remember to pass it on and share that wisdom with your children or other family and friends. More good deeds can only make the world a happier place.

4 comments:

  1. In the book, JB mentioned how he gave the guy who robbed him a Bible. I thought that was an excellent step towards forgiveness. It's not easy being nice to someone who has done you wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. J-O-Y...
    Jesus first, Others second, Yourself last.

    Not those words but those thought permeate everything we do daily. How will this make the other person feel, would I like to be helped if I was them, how can I make the other persons burden lighter.

    If I give that 'bum' money will it help him or not, (he could spend it on drugs and drink) what if I gave him food or a blanket instead...

    These are the things I will spend my lifetime teaching my children and others children... Define what help REALLY is and then do it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cyn, I have bought food for people who I know would have spent the money on drugs. That's just my technique. I'm glad to see someone who thinks the same.

    There was a guy who asked for some money to feed his dog. Well, I noticed the dog was on the "chubby-side" and his master was very skinny. So I went to Wal-Mart and bought a baked hen...and bought the dog some food that was low in calories. The guy looked disappointed when I returned with bread and chicken but it didn't stop him from chowing down. I did feel bad a little for not giving him money, but I'm glad they BOTH got a meal.

    I wonder was it easy for JB and Michelle to teach their children to think of others before themselves. Then again...is it ok to be selfish and think of yourself sometimes? Just "sometimes".

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a bit off topic, but I had forgotten that story about the haircuts. I wonder if that is what is behind Jim Bob's seeming compulsion to spray his hair to keep it looking perfect?

    I have forgotten my google password so am signing in as anon. Millie

    ReplyDelete